Easter eggs from the Imperial Porcelain Factory
The Imperial Porcelain Factory egg of 1882. It is a very rare early Imperial monogrammed egg. Easter egg is a well known Russian souvenir. Perhaps only the painted doll Matryoshka is more famous outside of our fatherland. Easter eggs are the attribute of one of the main religious festivals of Christians – miraculous resurrection of Jesus Christ crucified on the cross. Until the revolution, the Imperial porcelain factory released Easter eggs. The earliest was the egg with Cupids. Each Easter egg factory produced Easter eggs for members of the imperial family. Porcelain eggs were hung and had a hole where the ribbon with bow passed the bottom and at the top of the loop. Such eggs were usually hung in the Red corner, below the icons.
The Imperial porcelain factory is one of the oldest in Europe, the first and one of Russia’s largest companies for the production of artistic porcelain. Located in St. Petersburg the Imperial porcelain factory is a producer of handpainted ceramics. It was established by Dmitry Ivanovich Vinogradov in 1744, it is also known by its former name, Lomonosov Porcelain Factory.
The egg was also an ancient symbol of Spring Sun, carrying a life, joy, warmth, light, the rebirth of nature, the freedom from the shackles of frost and snow – in other words, moving from nonexistence into being. Once it was decided to bring the egg as a simple little gift of pagan gods, to give eggs to friends on new year’s day and the day of birth.