Pre-revolutionary Vladivostok. Vladivostok is a city and port in the Far East of Russia, the administrative center of Primorsky Krai, the end point of Trans-Siberian Railway. Peter the Great Bay, which is located on the coast of Vladivostok, became known in Europe only in 1852 by members of the crew of a French whaling ship, accidentally committed wintering in the Posiet bay. According to some reports, the same whalers in 1851 visited the Golden Horn. In 1856 the British ship “Winchester” from the Anglo-French squadron, which sought the Russian fleet during the Crimean War, visited the Golden Horn. The British called it the May Port.
In 1859, the Governor-General of Eastern Siberia, Nikolai Muraviev-Amursky, bypassing Peter the Great Bay beach, paid attention to the well-sheltered bay. It looked like the Golden Horn in Constantinople, and the Governor-General suggested to name it in the same way, and ordered to establish a military post on the shores of the bay, which was named Vladivostok.
Another version. The bay stretches from west to east. If you look at the bay at sunrise or sunset, the bay is well visible reflection of the sun in the form of horns. Golden Horn. In 1860 military ship “Manchuria”, under the command of Lieutenant-Commander Alexei Karlovich Shefner founded a military post, which is now officially called Vladivostok.
Soldiers and sailors under the command of Ensign Komarov started to build a post. June 20 (July 2, New Style) 1860 is officially the day of its foundation. In 1862 the port was renamed, and to increase the volume of foreign trade it was given the status – Free Port.
In 1880, Vladivostok became a town. The first baby was born in Vladivostok in May 1863. (Nadezhda Podorozhkina). Regular steamship line connected Vladivostok to St. Petersburg and Odessa in 1879. March 16, 1883, Alexander III approved the first emblem of the city.
In 1871, the main base of the Siberian Flotilla, the residence of the military governor, and other marine facilities were in Vladivostok. The same year, an underwater telegraph cable connected Vladivostok to Shanghai and Nagasaki.
In July 1886 the city was visited by Chinese navy Beyyanskogo – it was the first visit of the Chinese navy in Russia. In 1888, Vladivostok became the center of Primorsky region.
In May 1891 Vladivostok was visited by Crown Prince Nicholas, the future Emperor Nicholas II. He was returning from a trip to Eastern countries, and the first Russian city was Vladivostok. During his visit, Crown Prince laid the stone railroad station, a dry dock for repairing ships and a monument to Admiral Nevelskoy.
In 1893 was opened railway traffic between Vladivostok and St. Nicholas (Ussuriisk), in 1897 was built by the railroad Khabarovsk – Vladivostok, and in 1903 was opened a direct rail link with Moscow on the Trans-Siberian Railway.
In the 1890’s. Vladivostok was the organizational center of the Russian travelers’ expeditions and scientists NM Przewalski, Makarov, VK Arseniev, VL Komarov (later president of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR), and others. In 1899 was opened Oriental Institute in Vladivostok.
In 1920-1921 Vladivostok was in the Far Eastern Republic. In 1921-1922 was the capital of the independent Republic of the Amur region. From 1938 is the center of Primorsky Krai