The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood is the symbol of St. Petersburg and Russia – the first church established on the spot death of the emperor Alexander II, one of the many victims of the coming revolution. The Church was built and consecrated in 1907 by architect A. Parland. The city’s architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but the Savior on Blood harks back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of romantic nationalism. It intentionally resembles the 17th-century Yaroslavl churches and the celebrated St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow.
The main decoration of the facade is a mosaic depicting the coats of arms of Russian cities, provinces and districts, located on three sides by the bell tower.
Ground part of the cathedral is covered with Serdobolsk granite, installed in the basement twenty commemorative plaques, made of dark-red granite, with gilt letters on them designate acts of the Emperor Alexander II: the main event of February 19, 1855 to March 1, 1881.
The entrance to the church of the Savior on Spilled Blood draw up two steps, adjacent to the bell tower. Between symmetrically placed entrances placed a crucifix, executed in mosaic. The interior of the church of the Savior on Spilled Blood is strikingly magnificent. The walls of the cathedral almost completely covered with mosaic images, the work of talented craftsmen of St. Petersburg and Russia. The central place is given to mosaics created from sketches, by famous Russian artist V.M. Vasnetsov, “The Virgin and Child” and “Savior.”
Another feature of the interior decoration of the church of the Savior on Blood is the stones and semi precious stones, which decorate the iconostasis, the walls and floor of the building.
The four pillars of the Altai jasper warrant porch of the cathedral. Stored in the shadow of the peculiar relics of the temple – part of the lattice of Catherine Canal and cobble stones, on which fell mortally wounded Alexander II.