Marchak Jewelry house. The House of Marchak was founded in 1878 by Joseph Marchak, a talented jeweler. The Marchak company employed 150 workers at the start of the Russian Revolution (1917). Jewelry house “Marshak” made jewelry for the most distinguished people in Russia in the late XIX. On the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty executed official gifts to the Emperor Nicholas II. It was one of the most respected jewelry houses of the Russian Empire, the official supplier of the court and the competitor of Faberge. The Revolution of 1917 forced the family of the famous jeweler to go abroad, a thriving factory in Kiev was nationalized, and the history of the company continued in Paris. Products under brand “Marchak” could only be admired at international exhibitions, World Fairs, but now jewelry masterpieces are made in St. Petersburg and Moscow.
Marchak Jewelry house. In July 1918, Joseph Marshak left a will in which capital was distributed among his children, he didn’t forget about his masters and servants, provided funds for the maintenance of schools and colleges at the factory, he even took care of the dowry for the girls who worked at the firm. But the will remained unfulfilled due to the Russian revolution. Factory was nationalized, and the majority of jewelry was melted down.
Joseph Marshak became one of the most famous jewelers of the Russian Empire, the undisputed rival of the Faberge, but in spite of the fierce competition, they were good friends. The cost of some of the ornaments made in the workshops of Marshak, reached the price of estates – for example, a necklace of 5 threads (415 pearls with faceted emerald surrounded with diamonds) was worth 8000 rubles, big money for those times. It is hard to imagine how much would cost the decorations today.
Inheriting the tricks of the trade of his father Joseph, Alexander created unique things in the spirit of his time, blending the ideas of Palekh and modern, clean geometric shapes. Brooch in the shape of birds, flowers, colorful fan, long hanging earrings – in these products Marshak heard motifs inspired by the music of the great Stravinsky and Diaghilev’s ballet seasons.
Faithful to original skills and high quality of his father’s jewelry artworks granted to Alexander, he had a special place in the world of high Parisian jewelry. Its popularity was growing, and he won numerous awards at the show, “Art Deco” in 1925.
But the Second World War prevented the development of home, and many felt that it would not be revived. However, immediately after the war, Alexander Marshak was looking for the talented craftsmen. Alexander Dirinzhera, and later Jacques Vergès joined the Marshak House.
Joseph Marshak was one of the most popular providers of Emperor Nicholas II, and Jacques Verger made the major jewelry pieces for His Majesty Hassan II, official and private gifts – such as, for example, as the casket of jade, presented by the King of Morocco to Madame de Goll.
In 1988, Marshak salon closes its doors to visitors, but the familiarity of the brand is not diminished. Collectors, professionals, fans of the brand always trace the appearance of Marchak Jewelry house at trade shows and in the halls of sales.
A few years later, Dr. Marshak, great-nephew of Alexander, the only one with his brother having the name Marshak, begins a new revival of the brand of his great-grandparents. And soon the idea entirely captures it, although it is far from his profession of plastic surgeon. He begins exhibitions that take place with increasing success: in Basel – in 2000, followed by Japan in 2002, in West Palm Beach in 2003, in Moscow in 2004.
Currently, all products are drawn, processed and made entirely in Paris, where he again opened Marshak salon. Basically, these are the only copies, marked with a special sign. The jewelry pieces are not repeated more than 5-10 items, the color is never duplicated.