Dior Couture. Patrick Demarchelier Moscow exhibition
Russian culture is not just a source of inspiration for the House of Dior since its inception. Young Christian Dior was struck by the beauty of Russian Ballet of Diaghilev. Feeling passionate interest in architecture and constructivism, especially by the works of Rodchenko, at age 26, Christian Dior comes to Moscow. And in 1959, the House of Dior organizes impressive display specifically for the Soviet viewer. After the recent exhibition “Dior: Under the sign of art» («Inspiration Dior»), held in the Pushkin Museum in 2011, Dior again in Moscow with the project of photographs depicting beautiful fashion models in Christian Dior outfit «Dior Couture. Patrick Demarchelier», which is one of the key events of the Moscow Biennale “Fashion and Style in Photography – 2013”.
The exhibition includes more than 120 photographs, created by the famous French fashion photographer Patrick Demarchelier for two years, to the book «Dior Couture. Patrick Demarchelier» (2011).
In the pictures are the best models and actresses of our time (including Gisele Bundchen, Natalia Vodianova, Charlize Theron, Karli Kloss, Sasha Pivovarova, and others) in dresses and costumes of different seasons, backstage hits haute couture collections, as well as a unique report from the Paris studio Dior, where the masterpieces of high fashion are born.
Thematic exhibition is divided into six themes: Legendary Dior silhouettes, the personification of femininity, architectural forms and sculpted silhouettes of the famous image of New Look, which appeared in 1947, and other most famous models of dresses and suits that have been created by different masters of Dior house – from the Christian Dior to new creative director Raf Simons.
Thematically, the exhibition is divided into six themes:
– The legendary silhouettes of Dior – the personification of femininity, architectural shapes and sculpted silhouettes of the famous image of New Look, which appeared in 1947, and other best-known models of dresses and costumes that were created by different masters of Dior house – from Christian Dior himself to new creative director to Raf Simons.
– Atelier – when in 2008 Patrick Demarchelier discovered the world of Atelier Dior, he was struck by the unique combination of experience and skill with which the female characters were created. Photographs allow us to look into the inner sanctum of the fashion house and trace the birth of a new collection from the sketch stage and the hard work of seamstresses and embroiderers to the final fitting and rehearsal shows.
– Garden Dior – in this series includes pictures taken by Patrick Demarchelier during the show spring-summer haute couture collection in 2013, prepared by Raf Simons.
– From pink to red – these tender and bright colors have become two sides of femininity, the chanting of which Dior dedicated his collection. He carefully studied the variety of shades of pink, which is considered the color of tenderness and innocence, and red – the colors of passion. In 1949, it became the main color of red famous lipstick Rouge Dior, it was then in the middle of the show on the catwalk model came in a red dress, stunned all those present. This technique, called by Dior coup de Trafalgar, used also Raf Simons on his first show autumn-winter collection 2012-2013, as a mark of respect to the founder of the House.
– Ball Dior – different shades of gold – hot or cold, with a shimmering bronze or copper – are designed to re-create the true atmosphere of the Versailles ball. Golden ebb dresses come into resonance with wooden interiors, mirrors and chandeliers adorning the Mirror gallery at Versailles. It was here for the launch of perfume J’adore, filmed commercials with unparalleled Charlize Theron.
– XVIII century – inspired by the Marie Antoinette curvy dresses and capes in pastel colors, luxurious decorations and elaborate hairstyles – a real hymn to the French art de vivre and classic Parisian chic.
Patrick Demarchelier Moscow exhibition